RSS Feed

Davisville draws name from local potter: Street names

Davisville was an incorporated village around the area of Yonge St. and Davisville Ave. until 1889 when it joined with the village of Eglinton to form the village of North Toronto, which became part of Toronto in 1912. It drew its name from John Davis, who in 1845 established his own pottery company using clay from deposits in the nearby area. Davis was also the first postmaster in the area, helped build Davisville school and founded the Davisville Methodist Church.

Emily Honderich/Toronto Star Library – living