Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone
Urooj Khan died on July 20 just a day after his winning cheque was mailed out. Lottery officials say he may never have even received it. The cheque was cashed on Aug. 15; the money typically goes to the estate if a lottery winner dies, officials said.
On June 26, Khan, 46, accepted an oversized novelty cheque symbolizing his win from Illinois Lottery representatives; he spoke excitedly of how the money would help him grow his dry-cleaning business.
“Winning the lottery means everything to me, it will help me grow my business!” he exclaimed at the time.
Khan recalled the day he scratched the ticket.
“I scratched the ticket, then I kept on saying, ‘I hit a million!’ over and over again. I jumped two feet in the air, then ran back into the store and tipped the clerk $ 100,” Khan said when he picked up the prize. Khan chose to receive a one-time payment of $ 424,499.60 in lieu of $ 1 million paid out over several years.
Less than a month later, he was dead.
Later tests revealed “a blood level with a lethal range of cyanide,” the medical examiner told the Star. Cina said cyanide poisoning is rare, at least in his experience. During his 20 years on the job, Cina has performed roughly 4,500 autopsies; he says this is the first one where cyanide has been the cause of death.
He ate dinner about an hour later and went to bed. He was later heard screaming and was taken to St. Francis Hospital in Evanston, where he was pronounced dead, an internal police document said.
His wife and daughter were home when Khan was stricken, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner.
A native of India, Khan came to Chicago in the late 1980s and began working in the dry cleaning business, according to the Tribune.
The man’s widow, Shabana Ansari, told the Tribune that she has talked to police and would offer no other comment.
With files from the Associated Press