Sarah Polley’s Stories We Tell pushed to 2014 Oscar consideration
Alberto E. Rodriguez/GETTY IMAGES Sarah Polley talks about her film, Stories We Tell, at its premiere during the 2012 Toronto International Film Festival.
Sarah Polley will have to wait until 2014 to find out if Oscar voters agree with the critical raves for Stories We Tell, her shockingly intimate personal documentary.
Roadside Attractions, the film’s U.S. distributor, has opted to wait out the current awards season, which will culminate with the Oscar ceremony on Feb. 24, 2013.
It will instead submit Stories We Tell in contention for the 2014 awards, Roadside spokesperson David Pollick told the Star.
“We are excited to release Stories We Tell in mid-2013, with a plan to focus on awards after the film has been established in the U.S. theatrical market,” he said Wednesday via email.
All of this will happen long after the Canadian release of Stories We Tell, which is scheduled for Oct. 12.
Films seeking Oscar consideration require a U.S. theatrical release of at least one week in New York and Los Angeles theatres during the calendar year preceding the ceremony.
Polley’s documentary, her third feature as writer and director, has been drawing raves on the festival circuit this fall, include TIFF earlier this month.
The film chronicles the eye-opening results of her years of research into family rumours about her late mother and the circumstances of Polley’s birth.
Polley said she supports Roadside’s awards strategy: “I feel their plan is the best overall strategy for the film.”
thestar.com – Entertainment