In the report, the city’s top health official is calling for three sites with locations at The Works Needle Exchange Program, the Queen West Community Health Centre and the South Riverdale Community Health Centre.
According to the report the city saw a 41-per-cent increase in reported overdoses from 2004 to 2013. In 2013, 206 people died due to overdoses.
“Conditions currently in Toronto support the need for these health services,” he told reporters, adding the sooner these sites are made available, the better it will be for drug users and city residents.
Speaking to CBC News Monday, a drug-user who identified himself as “Butch” echoed the sentiment.
“When you’re doing something in a public area that you’re not supposed to be — injecting drugs which is everywhere —you’re hurrying, which is the biggest thing. And when you hurry it’s very easy to overdose, much easier,” he said.
Coun. Joe Cressy, chair of the city’s drug strategy panel, says drug use is a city-wide problem, and this idea is aimed at creating safer communities for all.
The councillor says more people will die from overdoses unless the city takes action.
“These deaths are preventable,” he said. “The sooner we act, the more lives will be saved, the fewer needles will be in our streets. It’s time.”
Public meetings are being planned in Toronto on safe-injection sites.
What a safe injection site in Toronto might look like. pic.twitter.com/Hr9YV19FPv
City has left 3 months for legally required community consultation but report say city intends to submit applications in Fall 2016.
Mayor Tory says the city “lost 200 people” last year to overdoses.
Below is the Medical Officer of Health’s report into safe injection sites.
CBC is not responsible for 3rd party content